Practical Development – Making The Guantanamo Bay Installation

Once I had my measurements made out to Roger at wood work, we started working on the box together. Our plan was to firstly start with the side walls then do the front frame and attach it. Below I have added a guide by guide step of the two days i spent with Roger making the installation box. I wanted to ensure my installation room would be of a good size to how I wanted it, so chose to buy more material to ensure I had the option of having a larger box when it got delivered.

I really enjoyed working alongside Roger, we got on well and he was extremely helpful (and patient) throughout! I thoroughly enjoyed working closely with him as I wanted to ensure I experienced the whole construction process, in which I did. I felt a great achievement when we had finished and I am very happy about the structure of it and the whole aesthetic.

1. We used the bench saw to cut down the wooden poles down to size (1.2 metres by 2.2 metres)

photo 1 (1)

2. We then lined up the wooden structures according to size.

photo 1

3. We then layed out the structure on the floor so we could start making it. I made holes into each of the wooden structures, then we glued together the structure in place. I then nailed in nails all around the structure to ensure it stayed in place. Using a screwdriver I then made the structure complete and in place, ready to put the boarding onto it to finalise the mdf walls.

photo 5 (1) photo 2 (3)

4. This was the final product of one of the walls, once we had glued the mdf board onto the structure. It looked great ! We sanded the edges and took out the nails. The walls were just how i wanted them to be

photo 2 (5)

5. We then made the structure for the door, ensuring that it would be a perfect cut so we could use the cuts to also construct the door, as to not waste more wood or so I didn’t have to buy any more.

photo 3 (1)  photo 4 (1)

6. The structures were now complete! All I had to do now was to nail all the struuctures together. I decided to construct the door and wall afterwards, as I needed the structure up asap to start working on it over Christmas. The size was a bit overwhelming at first, It was very big! I think I could have benefitted from making the box a little smaller as I soon realised after it was a lot of space for me to fill of information. However, I tried to embrace this as much as possible and started to research into how I could make the space filled with information but in a visually pleasing way to my audience.

photo 2 (4)photo 5 (2)photo 1 (6)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: