So for my dissertation practical piece I am:
- Trying to encourage people to educate themselves about government and policies
- Trying to raise awareness of leaked information and government censorship
- Looking at government suppression of information and how social media can be used as a means to navigate around this (In this case a lot of my information is sourced from information leaked through WikiLeaks)
My subject piece will be based on Guantanamo Bay, and I will be producing a small room (Approximately 1.2 metres by 1.8 metres) which has a door, so it is an enclosed space.
I want to replicate a solitary confinement cell (although mine will be smaller, in which I will stress this throughout that this space is even smaller)
I want the individuals to feel very claustrophobic and uncomfortable. To do this, I will be using a number of ways to do this such as:
- Having a small heater which will be integrated on the back room of the door, which will rest on a small shelf. There will be a cut of out the room for this. The heater will be a timed heater, which will turn on at intervals and turn off when it gets too hot. This is to represent heat torture used within Guantanamo – either hot or cold temperatures to torture detainees. I would much rather there be a heater than a fan as it will be a lot more effective – need to fill out a health and safety form ASAP for this
- Having a video in which I have made to be played on an iMac, which will be behind a cut out shape so the imac can go behind it. This will be a short documentary introducing my piece – i have made the first draft of this although i do not want this to be the focus of the installation so I want to change this a lot by mostly using very loud and quiet audio and mostly visuals (of interrogations, Obama’s promises to close Guantanamo etc, so it is more background and not a focus)
- Have a fluorescent light which will be at the top of the box. The light will be very bright. Also thinking about putting a strobe light on which will go on every 10 seconds or so. I will use a light timer for this – will have to warn individuals incase of epilepsy etc. This will represent light torture techniques and to represent how we can be kept in the dark from this information, and how we have been kept in the dark about this information until it has been recently released from WikiLeaks etc. If we didn’t have this leaked information, what would we know? If this is the only leaked information we have, what else is going on? This source of online social media has opened our eyes.
- As my main focus is on freedom of information and government censorship, I want to put a lot of information and statistics onto the walls of the installation. This will include reports, statistics, information, photos of detainees, letters of detainees, poems of detainees, leaked reports etc. I want the information to be very overwhelming to show that we can all educate ourselves about government and policies, and the corruption which can be seen from leaked documents and sources.
- GTMO clock – On one of the outer walls I would like to project the GTMO clock – which counts the days, hours, seconds etc since Obama has promised the release of detainees
How the black box will roughly look:
As the room will be painted fully black, I am not too sure how I want to represent my information.
- Printing out the information in the print room – setting out a document which measures 4.4 metres x 1.8, then cutting it into four strips to be wallpapered onto the walls.
- Having information randomly around the room
Problem – will this work with a black painted inside room? Shall i stick to white to make it easier?
Painting the inside of the walls with chalk paint so I can write with chalk – feel like this will look the best? As if printing goes wrong I will have no other alternative and will lose the money, also would look quite fitting in with letters, poems and quotes from detainees. Need to ask wood work if this is possible